Views
Helpful
Replies

Maintaining/Managing a Network - Preventative Maintenance

blamb
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I manage a network of Catalyst 3750, 3750E & 6500 series switches and various types of routers.  What should I be doing to maintain these network devices in good condition.

I monitor the network for faults.  I update the IOS periodically.  I document changes.

But, what else should I be doing to ensure the smooth operation of the network.  I reviewed the Guides for each device but did not find any real "preventative maintenance" instructions.

Should I shutdown and restart these devices a certain number of times per year?  Vacuum them?

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

blamb wrote:

Hi All,

I manage a network of Catalyst 3750, 3750E & 6500 series switches and various types of routers.  What should I be doing to maintain these network devices in good condition.

I monitor the network for faults.  I update the IOS periodically.  I document changes.

But, what else should I be doing to ensure the smooth operation of the network.  I reviewed the Guides for each device but did not find any real "preventative maintenance" instructions.

Should I shutdown and restart these devices a certain number of times per year?  Vacuum them?

Thanks

"If they are not broke then don't fix them" springs to mind

Basically networking devices are designed to be up all the time as without a network you really can't do anything and you pay, certainly with the 6500s, for that availability. I would certainly do a scheduled backup of your configs altho i suspect you are already doing that.

Other basics are controlled LAN rooms, clean with backup power, good air con etc..

Apart from that if you are monitoring network for faults and documenting all changes i think thats a reasonable approach.

Jon

View solution in original post

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Jon is spot on. I wouldnt do much with a working box unless it really has some issues with hardware/software etc. as a preventive measure, we would just keep us alerted, if the CPU or memory goes above a certain level.. also, make sure your routers/switches are hardened on the configuration level, to make sure your network doesnt have issues due to configuration mistakes ! thats preventive maintenance again, but on a software level..

Raj

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

blamb wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks

"If they are not broke then don't fix them" springs to mind

Basically networking devices are designed to be up all the time as without a network you really can't do anything and you pay, certainly with the 6500s, for that availability. I would certainly do a scheduled backup of your configs altho i suspect you are already doing that.

Other basics are controlled LAN rooms, clean with backup power, good air con etc..

Apart from that if you are monitoring network for faults and documenting all changes i think thats a reasonable approach.

Jon

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Jon is spot on. I wouldnt do much with a working box unless it really has some issues with hardware/software etc. as a preventive measure, we would just keep us alerted, if the CPU or memory goes above a certain level.. also, make sure your routers/switches are hardened on the configuration level, to make sure your network doesnt have issues due to configuration mistakes ! thats preventive maintenance again, but on a software level..

Raj

Thanks for the input.  I am a big fan of

leaving it alone if it's not broke.  But I needed to make sure that was the best approach.  Thanks again!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card