Views
Helpful
Replies

maitenance-protective maintenance for 4506

alfonzofernando
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys :)

I have configured and delivered to customer a network system consists of five 4506 switches (with 24 port MTRJ fiber optic line card and gigabit fiber LC SFPmodule).

Customer is asking me protective maintenance documentation for 4506 switches and it's modules.

I couldnt find such documents in cisco.com.

As far as I know; unlike computers and other electronic devices, network active devices are designed to work for years without any intervention.

But I dont want to mislead my customer. Do you guys have something to say about protective maintenance for above mentioned devices?

tx in advance for help

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Alfonzo

Generally speaking you are right in what you say. However i would add a couple of things

1) Bugs in the IOS / CatOS will require intervention on the switches. So they would need to check the security updates.

2) Based on past experience i would also recommend maintencance windows for the switches to give them a clean reboot. We have been hit in the past with rebooting modular switches that have been up for years that then have module failures on the reboot. Better to find this out in a regular maintenance window than when you really need it ie. a complete power failure.

HTH

Jon

tx Jon.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card