making catalyst switch 3750 as DHCP to provide ips to all 10 vlans

srikanth ath
Level 4
Level 4

Hello everybody,

Ihave configured  DHCP service on my 3750 cisco switch and assign

different scope (with different subnet) according to the VLAN

configured on the same device.

on the same device i have configured different scopes according to the vlans and assigned ports to it . and can see different ips subnets to different vlans assigned ports when i plugged into each of port in to the  switch.

here ...i don't want to relay to any other DHCP service but i'd

prefer to use the one provided by the 3750.

example configuration in layer3 switch:

vlan 10

name market

int gig 1/0/1

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 10

interface vlan 10

ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0

no shut

ip dhcp pool marketing

network 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.0

default-router 10.10.X.X

end

ip dhcp excluded-address 10.10.10.1-10.10.10.3

above is an example where i configured vlan to a port in the same mannner i have configured 10 different vlans to different subnets with dhcp pool. i have verified by plugging into each and every port(assigned with respective vlans) and can see the different ip address  subnet from the pool of dhcp.

..and here i have queries

i have two  layer 2 switches where i want to connect to 3750 switch .. the connected port will be configured as trunk port at each end and i can see all the vlans configured in the 3750 switch into the layer 2 switches .

the host connected to layer 2 switch will he be able to get the ips from the dhcp pool configured in the 3750 switch.

example :

layer 2 switch:

int fa 0/2

switchport mode access

1  now the user connected to port fa 0/2 (vlan 10) can he able to get the ip address from dhcp pool (10.10.10.0/24) configured in layer 3 (3750) switch ?

2. if yes is there any extra command to be added of a port or vlan in layer 2 switches ?

Thanks in advance.

sreek

7 Replies 7

srikanth ath
Level 4
Level 4

hi all

can anyone please help me out for above query..

thanks

sreek

Hi Sreek,

You setup work work just fine.  All you need on the later-2 switches is the layer-2 vlan and assign the physical ports to specific vlans.The 3750 switch is you layer-3 device that provide the IPs to all the vlans.  Also on the layer 2 switches ports that connects to the end users devies, turn on port fast

int fa 0/2

switchport mode access

spannin port-fast

HTH

Reza

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sreek

1) Yes

2) No

Jon

thanks to jon and riza

hi

can i give ip address based on  MAC address of connected host. with dhcp service enabled as like above in switch per vlan.....i mean like a static address assignee based on mac of host.

if yes how it can be done.

Yes you can do this. Under the DHCP pool config -

ip dhcp pool

host

client-identifier 0100.0cf1.0560.98 <-- mac-address of host

Jon

thanks a lot jon and reza .. thnks fr ur time

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card