Views
Helpful
Replies

management port not accessible from routed vlan

baefisch
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

we have an very old hp switch environment and plan to change the whole infrastructure to cisco. We plan to build a parallel environment and switch over after configurating. Therefore i have two test devices. Cisco C9200. My plan is to configure all devices through ansible and wan't to play around. I've configured the management port to our management vlan (192.168.126.x) and i am able to access the webgui and also through ssh within the same vlan. I am not able to connect from my workstation (192.168.250.x). Our ansible server is connected to this 250 network as well. Other Devices within this management Vlan are accessible. Isn't it possible to connect to the management port from a different vlan? I only wan't to test the way to configure Cisco switches through ansible. I do not wan't to implement this test devices into our existing environment.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

the mgmt port will normally be in a seperate VRF and so have a different routing table. what is the output of:

sh run int mgmt0

sh ip vrf br

I suspect the management VRF does not have a gateway set, so the c9200 does not know how to reach the 192.168.250.x subnet. Add the following config:

!
ip route vrf <management_vrf_name> 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <192.168.126.x_gateway>
!

cheers,

Seb.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

the mgmt port will normally be in a seperate VRF and so have a different routing table. what is the output of:

sh run int mgmt0

sh ip vrf br

I suspect the management VRF does not have a gateway set, so the c9200 does not know how to reach the 192.168.250.x subnet. Add the following config:

!
ip route vrf <management_vrf_name> 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <192.168.126.x_gateway>
!

cheers,

Seb.

Thanks for the quick reply, it's working.

Sorry, i am completely new in the whole network area. I will go on training within this year. Normally linux is my area.

I've configured.

Switch2(config)#ip route vrf Mgmt-vrf 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.126.1

Do i have to commit this statement in any way?

you need to exit and then write mem, the full sequence would be:

conf t
!
ip route vrf Mgmt-vrf 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.126.1
!
exit
wr mem

Good luck with your studies!

cheers,

Seb.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card