Views
Helpful
Replies

Management VLAN Questions

qiblatain1400
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I configured Vlan 3 as a Management Vlan by assigning the ip address to the Vlan 3. Then I used the Telnet command & successfully was able to Telnet the Switch via Vlan 3 ip address.

Now I have the following questions regarding Management Vlan:

1) What is exact command or a Way, by which I can get the status of the Management Vlan ? ( "sh vlan" & "sh int trunk" doesn't show the Management Vlan).

2) To configure the Vlan 3 as a Management Vlan, Is it enough to  assign an ip address only to the Vlan 3, OR, we have to do other tasks as well ?

3) The ports on Swich on which Vlan 3 is configured, those ports should remain in Access mode OR we have to make them Trunk ? (I read on the Cisco Forum, that we have to make those ports trunk, Is it Correct ?).

4) Is it necessary to assign the default gateway by a command "ip default-gateway" in order to configure the Management Vlan ? (I read on the Cisco Forum, that we will assign the default gateway as well in order to configure the Management Vlan).

Waiting for your Response.

1 Reply 1

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

1)  show ip int brief | I Vlan , sh int Vlan , sh ip int Vlan

2) no it's enough to give an ip address

3) for the interface Vlan to stay up/up you need 3 things and one of them is the vlan must be active on one port( trunk or access) the other 2 are : the vlan must exist and it must be in the STP forwarding mode

4) it depends from where you are gonna manage your switch if it is outside the subnet of your VLAN then you need the default-gateway otherwise the switch will not be able to reply to you.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card