Views
Helpful
Replies

Media types, optics questions

Kashish_Patel
Level 2
Level 2

Hello Experts,

I am a lot confused about the different types of optics and media types. I will try to list some of my confusions:

• I think when we say "optics", it means the same thing as transceivers...sfp,sfp+ etc are kind of transceivers, right?
  • Is media type one of: "copper" or "fiber"?
  • If copper is the media type, then what transceivers can be put on each side of the cable?
  • If fiber is the media type, then what optics/transceivers can be put on each side of the cable?
  • Is it necessary to have same types of optics at each end of the cable?
  • can a copper cable be connected to an RJ45 port at one end and to a 1000Base-LX/LH on other end? Or is 1000Base-LX/LH is just for fiber and no copper?
  • I am also confused about what all optics are compatible with each other...for eg, if I want to have some optic at one end, how can I find out what optics are compatible with it and can be used at other end.
  • What is meant by connector and optics? What is LC/SC connector, SR/LR optics...

Sorry these are beginner questions and may have been answered already. But I could not find any single doc which could have explained things clearly.

So any help is appreciated.

1 Reply 1

Tagir Temirgaliyev
Spotlight
Spotlight
  • I am also confused about what all optics are compatible with each other...for eg, if I want to have some optic at one end, how can I find out what optics are compatible with it and can be used at other end.
  •  sh int
  • sh int trans

• What is meant by connector and optics? What is LC/SC connector, SR/LR optics...
  • different sizes. you see it all in google image
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card