Views
Helpful
Replies

MEM-C4K-FLD128M for bootflash?

cfajardo1_2
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

-in the sup v, the bootflash by default comes onboard with a 64mb, is this upgradable

-is the above part number for the bootflash onboard or for the external slot?

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cfajardo1 wrote:

jon,

my concern now is whether it is realy upgradable or not..i might end up doing something which is not suppose to be..

and as i said iam not clear about what the config tool sup5 memory options (internal or external) on a 4507r.

Not sure what else to say on this. The part you quote is definitely compact flash and there is a doc that explains how it works on the 4500 -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/hardware/configuration/notes/OL_2788.html

I can't find any reference to upgrading the onboard flash for the supervisor V and the original doc i senrt does suggest it is not upgradeable.

Jon

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

cfajardo1 wrote:

hello,

-in the sup v, the bootflash by default comes onboard with a 64mb, is this upgradable

-is the above part number for the bootflash onboard or for the external slot?

thanks

The part number is for compact flash ie. external. See this link for supported on board and supported compact flash - Sup V has 64Mb supported flash -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_tech_note09186a00801a5d58.shtml

Jon

hi jon,

so this is not intended for upgrade of the internal default 64mb bootflash?

thanks

cfajardo1 wrote:

hi jon,

so this is not intended for upgrade of the internal default 64mb bootflash?

thanks

No it's used as an external flash card as far as i know.

Jon

hi jon,

sorry but what is the right part number to upgrade the bootflash from 64 to 128?

in the configuration tool, i cant see any except MEM-C4K-FLD128M and  MEM-C4K-FLD64M and its not saying if it is for the sp bootflash.

thanks

cfajardo1 wrote:

hi jon,

sorry but what is the right part number to upgrade the bootflash from 64 to 128?

in the configuration tool, i cant see any except MEM-C4K-FLD128M and  MEM-C4K-FLD64M and its not saying if it is for the sp bootflash.

thanks

I don't think you can upgrade the onboard flash - see orginal doc i sent a

link to.

If you need more space for bootable flash than 64Mb then you need a compact flash card which is card that fits into an external facing slot on the supervisor engine. This external flash can either be 64 or 128Mb.

It is a lot easier to use compact flash cards than to try and start opening up the supervisor and as i say i don't think there is any point for the Sup V on the 4500.

Jon

i agree with you..but i was thinking like in the case of the 720 where the internal sp bootflast is accepting cf thru a cf adapter.

my case now is i was given a flash memory to upgrade the bootflash of a production 4507r, which i dont have the part number with me now, but i remember its of a smaller form than the external slot of the sup 5.

thanks

cfajardo1 wrote:

i agree with you..but i was thinking like in the case of the 720 where the internal sp bootflast is accepting cf thru a cf adapter.

my case now is i was given a flash memory to upgrade the bootflash of a production 4507r, which i dont have the part number with me now, but i remember its of a smaller form than the external slot of the sup 5.

thanks

Okay, then i have not come across this before. The only reason i can think for wanting to upgrade the onboard flash rather than using an external compact flash card is for security issues ie. someone cannot just come along, remove the compact flash card and reload the switch but your switches should hopefully be in locked locations anyway ?

I have never upfrading onboard flash for 4500/6500, just used external compact flash cards.

Jon

jon,

my concern now is whether it is realy upgradable or not..i might end up doing something which is not suppose to be..

and as i said iam not clear about what the config tool sup5 memory options (internal or external) on a 4507r.

cfajardo1 wrote:

jon,

Not sure what else to say on this. The part you quote is definitely compact flash and there is a doc that explains how it works on the 4500 -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/hardware/configuration/notes/OL_2788.html

I can't find any reference to upgrading the onboard flash for the supervisor V and the original doc i senrt does suggest it is not upgradeable.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card