Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Meraki vs. Cisco Catalyst

Hello everybody,

I have a questing regarding Meraki Switching vs. Catalyst Switching.

My company (global company with location sizes from 10 - 3500 employees) is currently operating their worldwide infrastructure with Cisco Catalyst Switches. 

We have some problems we could not handle in the past like:

contract management, asset management, etc. 

On the other side to operate the Catalyst switches you need specific networking know-how and additional tools like Prime Infrastructure and APIC-EM to be able to do some kind of "Bare Metal" deployment which is already part of Merakis Cloud managed strategy.

We changed a few years ago from Cisco AP´s to Meraki cloud managed AP´s .

I´m not responsible for the wireless stuff but the feedback is that contract management, asset management, support, etc. works much better and smoother than with classic cisco equipment. 

Now my management wants me to clarify if it is possible to use Meraki Switches as well instead of Catalyst.. 

I don´t know the meraki stuff very well but for me it seems that on the access-layer those switches seem to fit in an enterprise environment. 

Of course we have to rate if features and performance are sufficient. But on a first look I think meraki switches are ok to use. 

What is your experience regarding Maraki vs. Catalyst switching ? 

Do you know if a lot of companies are using meraki on the access layer ?

Or just use them on small locations ? 

How do they behave regarding IoT and upcoming trends ? 

I would appreciate some feedbacks :-)

Best regards,

Steffen

1 Reply 1

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Meraki switches are great for the access layer.  Don't use them for a data centre core.

I'm a particular fan of the MS350-24X.  A 24 port UPoE switch where 8 of those ports are MGig and 4 x SFP+ ports.  I love using it for workgroups.

https://meraki.cisco.com/products/switches/ms350-24x

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card