cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MHSRP and Cisco 871

klevy
Level 1
Level 1

I have a couple of Cisco 871 routers (ethernet WAN, 4 port ethernet LAN) that I will be using as Internet gateways to an internal network and a perimeter network with web, ftp and other specialized servers.

I've been reading through the documentation on HSRP and I'm getting confused as to the functionality provided by the 871 router. I've come across seemingly conflicting statements that the unit does not support MHSRP (because the NQUICC ethernet controller does not support multiple MAC addresses). But I've also seen statements that it can be set up (with some caveats re: proxy ARP and gratuitous ARP broadcasts) to handle MHSRP by using the "standby use-bia" statement to use the burned in address.

Can anyone confirm for me whether I can set up these two routers with a pair of cross-configured virtual addresses?

Thanks in advance for any help.

1 Reply 1

b.hsu
Level 5
Level 5

the feature list for the Cisco 871 series shows that MHSRP is supported, check out the following link :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_data_sheet0900aecd8028a976.html

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card