Views
Helpful
Replies

Midsize business bordeless network switch

Ruwel1977
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Cisco,

As we are trying to get midsize business more in to collaboration and small data centers we wish there was a Low TCO switch that has it all we need to create this environment. The environment of unified storage, unified communications, UCS virtual apps and borderless network which allow midsize business to go in to a more unified and collaborative workflow.

We know this is the idea behind VXI and want to have it for SMB too. The cost is holding us back. So the deal is to have first of all a better borderless network manager and switcher.

Why not have the access switch with PoE+, core switch and data center switch all together in one chassis. As they are all blades who you just insert in the chassis so technically it is possible I guess. Then to complete the system there must be the wireless network with control, routing features, WAN optimization and security.

• Regarding wireless network I would sugest direct link with crean air and wireless anttenas with wireless controller and manager
  • As for routing features I think of a WAN router like Cisco 3945
  • WAN optimization is suppose to be like Cisco WAAS WAVE 694
  • Security  was meaning to have Firewall, IPS, UTM and Mail and Web filters

So the simple idea is to have a Nexus 7000-9, C3945 router, ASA 5550 security appliance and WAVE 694 WAAS engine together in one frame or chassis.

The swicher will have:

• 2x blades dedicated for unified fabric data center swich
  • 2x blades dedicated for core switch
  • 2x blades dedicated for supervisors
  • and 5x blades dedicated for access switch
2 Replies 2

gproefke
Level 1
Level 1

Rundolf,

Thank you for your comment and your ideas. It's unlikely that Cisco has a single box to meet your needs, but we may be able to build a solution with fewer boxes than you might think. And we have a strong track record of integrating multiple services into a single platform. For example, Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series switches are deployed in access, core, and data center, and can include wireless controller and firewall modules, among others. A Catalyst 6500 might be overkill for an SMB application, though, depending upon your specific needs.

Many in the networking industry have tried to integrate disparate features and functionality into a single box. Before committing to build such a product, our development teams must evaluate the market opportunity, whether any potential compromises would outweigh the benefit of a single platform, and whether unified management might be a better solution.

If you'd like to share details of your specific application and requirements, we'd be happy to recommend a solution that will fit. If you'd rather not share that information in this forum, please contact your local Cisco office or partner.

Thanks again for your comments and interest in Cisco.

gary

Hi Gary,

Thanks for you replay.

Please tell me about the solution you have for this project. You can tell me here or send a private msg to me.

kind regards,

Rundolf

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card