cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrate 4500X to VSS on Actvie Network

kidseven112002
Level 1
Level 1

I currently manage a 4500X Collapsed Core that has HSRP configured for the redundancy between them. I would like to configure them for VSS, but I can't take my network down for too long. Is this possible with minimum service interruption? Has anyone done this on a live network that can provide tips before I attempt this?

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is your supervisor card and post the complete output to the command "sh version".

Leo/et al,

The output from my "sh version" is attached.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

To convert to VSS, there will be some down time as after converting the chassis to VSS, it will overwrite the old config and the config will need to be modified.  For example; if you have device connected to port 1/5 right now, after the conversion, that same port will be 1/1/5. Also, after converting to VSS you don't need HSRP any more, so you would have to delete all that.

I recommend making a very good backup of your config and also the current IOS version. 

Overall if you plan it well and your network and configs are not complicated, you maybe able to convert to VSS and load your config with less than 2 hours of down time.

HTH

Rolf Fischer
Level 9
Level 9

This document shows a way to convert a pair of traditional HSRP core switches to a VSS with minimal downtime:

Migrate Standalone Cisco Catalyst 6500 Switch to VSS

Very good preparation is of course crucial!

If possible I would test this in a lab environment first.

HTH
Rolf

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card