cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrating configuration from 2960 switch to 9200 switch

brian.koomen
Level 1
Level 1

We are starting to migrate our 2960 and 2960x switches to the 9200 series.

I was looking for some feedback/help.

Questions/concerns I have:

- is there documentation on migrating from a 2960 to a 9200 model?

- I heard that QOS on the 9200 is different and wanted to know what I would need to change.

The 2960 interfaces currently connecting to Phones / computers have this config:

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1
description .Phone and Computer.
switchport mode access
switchport voice vlan 200
srr-queue bandwidth share 1 30 35 5
priority-queue out
mls qos trust device cisco-phone
mls qos trust cos
spanning-tree portfast
service-policy input AUTOQOS-SRND4-CISCOPHONE-POLICY

Will this config work if I copy this over to the 9200 interface?  If not, why not.

What changes would you make and why?

Thank you in advance for any help.

-b

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

In most cases, copy and paste will work except for QOS portion as it is different on almost every switch platform (I know Cisco does not make it easy). I would copy a portion of the config to a notepad or notepad+, paste, and resolve discrepancies as you go. Once you figure the changes you need to make in one segment of the config, the rest should be the same.

HTH

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

In most cases, copy and paste will work except for QOS portion as it is different on almost every switch platform (I know Cisco does not make it easy). I would copy a portion of the config to a notepad or notepad+, paste, and resolve discrepancies as you go. Once you figure the changes you need to make in one segment of the config, the rest should be the same.

HTH

Thanks for your timely reply,   The thing that gets me.....  Other vendors have tools to migrate other vendors configuration files to work on their systems, but CISCO doesn't even have a tool let alone some matrix/documentation tell you what the new configuration should be on the new IOS platform when migrating.   Frustrating.

I even gave TAC the config and asked what needs to be changed to work properly on 9200.  I was given a link to an QOS article.  

Completely understand your frustration, Brian. Unfortunately, Cisco's support is not what it used to be. These days, they send you a link or 2, or they ask you to upgrade (default answer) if there is problem with the switch. If you have a lot of switches to upgrade, I think it is best to test the whole migration on one switch, resolve the command discrepancies and than replicate that same config on all the other switches. Sorry!

HTH

Unable to copy the follow:

srr-queue bandwidth share 1 30 35 5 priority-queue out  AND priority-queue out

Are they no longer needed or do you know if these have been replaced with something else on the 9200?

Take a look at the command reference guide for the 9200, as some commands may have changed or may no exist.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9200/software/release/16-12/command_reference/b_1612_9200_cr/qos_commands.html

HTH

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card