Views
Helpful
Replies

Modified IOS Commands

Woodland73
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

I'm setting up a few new SG350 switches here at work, and some of the commands I've encountered thus far are different from what I've already learned.  Here are some examples:  

SW1(config)#line ?

console       Console terminal line
ssh       Virtual terminal for secured remote console access (SSH)
telnet       Virtual terminal for remote console access (Telnet)

SW1(config)#line con 0
% Wrong number of parameters or invalid range, size or characters entered

SW1(config)#line vty 0
% Unrecognized command

SW1(config)#line aux 0
% Unrecognized command

Why aren't the typical commands (line con 0, line vty, etc.) working?  The IOS version is 2.1.0.60.  

Any help is appreciated!

4 Replies 4

Hello,

the short answer is: the feature set on these switches is limited. Look at the price and you will see why there is a difference.

The Catalyst can be up to 10 times more expensive. The SG series (they are referred to as Nikola) has been developed for small businesses. So it is simply a question of affordability.

In case you need it, here is a link to the command reference:

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/csbms/sf30x_sg30x/administration_guide/CLI_Nikola300_1_3_7.pdf

I had no idea that commands in general changed based on the equipment, but this makes sense.  Thanks very much for the response, gp!

Yea, can be much different between SMB Cisco devices and other Cisco devices, but you'll find differences between other Cisco series and sometimes between OS versions on the same series.

Iulian Vaideanu
Level 4
Level 4

The SG series don't run IOS (I believe their firmware is based on what Linksys was using when acquired by Cisco)...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card