cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Module to connect Cat6 10gbe to Nexus or 4500x sfp+

keithsauer507
Level 5
Level 5

I'm looking for the part number for the SFP+ module that can accept an RJ-45 connector with Cat 6 or Cat 6a cabling that would go from an Intel X540-T1 or T2 Ethernet converged network adapter.  These 10gbe nics would be in servers running VMWare and the whole storage network.  The SAN I already found the active twinax sfp+.

This is my first entrance into 10gbe.

5 Replies 5

keithsauer507
Level 5
Level 5

I'm guessing that I would have to get Intel X520 10gbe cards with the SFP+ ports and just use SFP+ twinax cabling to the nexus.

I don't see any 10gig RJ-45 SFP+ for Nexus.  Oh well, so much for cheap cabling.

For Nexus, there is 12 port copper (10Gig) expansion card you can buy.

see figure-6 in this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9670/data_sheet_c78-618603.html

HTH

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco doesn't support any 10 Gbps Cat 6 SFPs. Unless you have the module Reza noted above, you need to use either one of the fiber SFP+ transceivers or one of the supported twinax cables with built-in SFP.

There is a compatibility matrix here that lists all of the options.

All the nexus 5k fully support 10 gig on all its ports though correct?  Any artificial limitations, like only x number of ports can be 10gig while others must fall back to 1 gig?

All ports can run 10 Gbps simultaneously. The only exception that come to mind is when you setup a 5k (UP type) with Fibre Channel ports you designate and reserve certain ports for FC only.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card