cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

more speed with 2960g

loarrrrrrin
Level 1
Level 1

I have a very small gigabit network with lots of video traffic (with uncontrolled switches).

I want to buy a Catalyst 2960 8 port Gigabit switch to speed up my network.

And in addition i want to buy a file-server with two 2-ports network cards to connect all 4 ports to 4 ports of switch to have one ( etherchanel trunk?) fast channel.

Is it real with this switch and what server configuration and software would be ideal for this task?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The "bundle" can be a switch port or a trunk, your choice! If the bundle is a trunk or a switch port you get the aggregate of the bundle. Here's a link that might help. Most examples show the bundle as a trunk because that's how most people use it, but it can be configured the way you are requesting.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_25_see/configuration/guide/swethchl.html#wp1275680

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You need server NIC's that support 'teaming' or 802.3ad (LACP). I know HP's do and they work pretty well. If you also want to trunk (you probably don't need too) the NIC will also have to support 802.1q. The 2960G-8TC-L switch should work just fine.

HTH and please rate.

Thank you very much for your really helpful answer!

Emm. If 4 ports on the cisco switch works as one - are they not obligatory in "trunk" mode? (links to the "trunk manual for dummies" are appreciated ;). And if they are not in trunk mode (all 4 ports) - is additional connection speed to server provided?

Sorry I'm not very familiar with this tech vocabulary.

The "bundle" can be a switch port or a trunk, your choice! If the bundle is a trunk or a switch port you get the aggregate of the bundle. Here's a link that might help. Most examples show the bundle as a trunk because that's how most people use it, but it can be configured the way you are requesting.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_25_see/configuration/guide/swethchl.html#wp1275680

Thanks a lot!

My network will be renewed.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card