cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Move Patch Panel or Bridge?

SmithicusRex
Level 1
Level 1

We have a patch panel and servers on a rack in the employee break room and we want to move the servers to a datacenter room in the same building.

Only 30% of the ports on the panel are utilized (50 of the 152 wired ports).

Would you move the entire panel to the data center room or "bridge in" ONLY the 50 ports being utilized to the data center room?

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

James

I am not clear from your explanation whether there are connections in the patch panel for things other than the servers that will move. But assuming that the connections in the patch panel are for the servers that will move then I would move the patch panel. It seems to me that the effort to "bridge" 50 connections is more effort than it is worth. And leaving the patch panel where it is brings up a question of how you will establish connectivity in the data center. Assuming that you want a patch panel in the data center I think the easy solution is to move the panel from the break room.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you for the advice Richard.

As to the connections in the patch panel for things other than servers, our T1 connections are plugged in to the networking hardware on the rack - not the panel itself. Everything else appears mobile.

There is some slight concern that the company that wired the building did not incorporate enough slack in the existing ethernet cables to fully extend the existing wiring to reach as deep into the data center as we want. In that case, our decision will create a new discussion.

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

We featured your question on our page. Check out the responses here http://www.facebook.com/CiscoSupportCommunity/posts/384297601621330

---

Posted by WebUser Cisco NetPro from Cisco Support Community App

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card