cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Moving IOS Image from Router to Router

dvaggalis
Level 1
Level 1

Customer has ordered the following routers, which will go in three separate locations.

1.  3945 W/SPE150, IP Base Image

2.  3945 Voice Bundle, includes PVDM3-64 and (1) 2-port T1 MFT

3.  2911 IP Base Image.

If the customer wants to move the Voice image from  the existing 3945 to the 3945/WSPE150, would he just need to contact Cisco Licensing, or would the customer have to pay for a software upgrade on the 3945/WSPE150?

Same scenario, except moving the Voice Image to the 2911 router.

In either scenario, I assume I can move the hardware T1 MFT and DSP.

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'd rather get the routers have the SP Services license installed and ready in case you start moving the modules around.

Understood, but the customer is asking if it could be moved.  I reviewed the document on "Rehosting" it looks like it can be done, just wanted someone to verify for me.

Rehosting a License

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps10616/white_paper_c11_556985.html#wp9000762

Understood, but the customer is asking if it could be moved.

You mean moving the license across different appliance?  No.

Logic behind is this, Cisco does not want to manage license of adding and removing.  Besides, what guarantee that the license key to remove the license will be followed in the first place?

By the way, just want to pre-empt the client attempting to load one license file to multiple appliance.  The license key if generated from the serial number of the appliance.  So if the license key is loaded into an appliance with a different appliance ...

that is how I understood it as well, until I read this process on rehosting IOS licenses, it appears that I would delete the license key off of one router and add it to the other router.

that I would delete the license key off of one router and add it to the other router.

Won't work.

The license key is based around the SERIAL NUMBER of the chassis. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card