Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multi-chassis Etherchannel

Hi,

I've got a Cisco 2960 and a Cisco 3850, and a host that is connected across both of them. The switches have a trunked etherchannel between them.

Is there anyway of creating an etherchannel, across the two switches?

I've been looking around but I'm a bit confused, some people are saying I need to use VSS, others are saying I need to enable the VPC feature. I've never done this before, and I'm under a bit of time pressure to find out if it's possible, otherwise we have no choice but to re-assign the cables to the same switch.

If anybody could share any advice I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

VSS is for 4500/6500/6800 and vPC for Nexus switches but stacked switches also support MEC.

So if you had a pair of 2960s or a pair of 3850s that were stacked then yes you could create a MEC between the pair.

But from the sounds of it you have a single 2960 and a single 3850 so no you can't use MEC ie. any etherchannel you created would need all links to be terminated on one of the switches.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

VSS is for 4500/6500/6800 and vPC for Nexus switches but stacked switches also support MEC.

So if you had a pair of 2960s or a pair of 3850s that were stacked then yes you could create a MEC between the pair.

But from the sounds of it you have a single 2960 and a single 3850 so no you can't use MEC ie. any etherchannel you created would need all links to be terminated on one of the switches.

Jon

Thanks for clearing that up Jon, it looks as though we'll have to change the wiring around a bit, but at least I know now.

Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: