Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast and Broadcast Storm Control

bartonr1998
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All!

I was hoping someone could help me and advise if when multicast and broadcast storm-control are enabled on an interface does it monitor inbound and outbound traffic on that interface?

Also does he switch look collectively at the multicast + broadcast traffic % or does it look at broadcast and multicast traffic seperatley for example :

int gi0/1

storm-control broadcast level 20

storm-control multicast level  20

would the above command drop traffic when broadcast and multicast levels where 10% of the link each equaling 20% ?

Many thanks for your assistance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello

@bartonr1998 wrote:

Hi All!

I was hoping someone could help me and advise if when multicast and broadcast storm-control are enabled on an interface does it monitor inbound and outbound traffic on that interface?

Also does he switch look collectively at the multicast + broadcast traffic % or does it look at broadcast and multicast traffic seperatley for example :

int gi0/1

would the above command drop traffic when broadcast and multicast levels where 10% of the link each equaling 20% ?

My understanding yes it would, combined traffic levels exceeds it drops both broadcast /multicast traffic
Also if broadcast and mulitcast levels are applied and either level is reached this also would drop both broadcast/multicast traffic

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hello

@bartonr1998 wrote:

Hi All!

int gi0/1

My understanding yes it would, combined traffic levels exceeds it drops both broadcast /multicast traffic
Also if broadcast and mulitcast levels are applied and either level is reached this also would drop both broadcast/multicast traffic

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Thats great Paul thanks for your help!

Kind Regards,

Ryan

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card