Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast Between LAN and WLAN

Cameron Prior
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There

So I have just purchased an nVidia Shield for my media center needs and I've stumbled onto a bit of a problem.

The shield has chromecast built in - which is a fantastic idea - however the cast feature uses multicast and I've hit a snag.

My shield is connected to the LAN (vlan 20) and the device I am trying to cast from is connected to the WLAN (vlan 21). I am able to cast from devices connected to the LAN however devices on the WLAN cannot see the shield to cast to.

Now after doing a considerable amount of research and testing - I'm convinced its a multicast routing issue. 

I have followed the instructions in this document: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/7-6/chromecastDG76/ChromecastDG76.html and have configured the WLC accordingly

I have also configured the core switch like this (239.1.10.10 is the multicast group address set on the WLC)

ip multicast-routing distributed
ip igmp snooping

interface Vlan20
 description Midgard.Local LAN Subnet
 ip address 10.0.20.1 255.255.255.0
 no ip redirects
 ip directed-broadcast
 no ip proxy-arp
 ip pim sparse-dense-mode
 ip igmp join-group 239.1.10.10
!
interface Vlan21
 description Midgard.Local WLAN Subnet
 ip address 10.0.21.1 255.255.255.0
 no ip redirects
 ip directed-broadcast
 no ip proxy-arp
 ip pim sparse-dense-mode
 ip igmp join-group 239.1.10.10

Im sure I have missed something simple here - but im not sure what it is.

Multicast is not my forte and ive not really ever had to troubleshoot it before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Cameron Prior
Level 1
Level 1

So I have done some more reading about mDNS/Bonjour/Chromecast/Zeroconf and I have discovered that Cisco have indeed come up with a solution to our issue.

Cisco have included a new feature set in IOS 15.2 which allows you to extend mDNS services between subnets easily. The feature is called Service Discovery Gateway and it works a treat.

Basically you get the Layer 3 border to redistribute mDNS between any subnets you like.

Configuration is very simple (It can get pretty complicated if you want to filter specific traffic or types)

Global Configuration

service-list mdns-sd permit-all permit 10
!
service-routing mdns-sd
 service-policy permit-all IN
 service-policy permit-all OUT

Per Interface Config (Layer 3 Interface or SVI)

service-routing mdns-sd
  redistribute mdns-sd

Here is a really good slide deck I found about the whole thing.

https://www.slideshare.net/getyourbuildon/supporting-zeroconf-and-apple-bonjour-in-the-enterprise-using-ciscos-service-discovery-gateway-techadvantage-webinar

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Cameron Prior
Level 1
Level 1

So it turns out that chromcast uses mDNS (Bonjour Service) which does NOT like being routed - AT ALL!!

I ended up having to create a reflector to bounce the mDNS packets between the two subnets

https://chrisreinking.com/need-bonjour-across-vlans-set-up-an-avahi-gateway/

On this cisco side of things, I just created a trunk interface with a native vlan of 20 (My LAN Subnet)... Job done.

Cameron Prior
Level 1
Level 1

So I have done some more reading about mDNS/Bonjour/Chromecast/Zeroconf and I have discovered that Cisco have indeed come up with a solution to our issue.

Cisco have included a new feature set in IOS 15.2 which allows you to extend mDNS services between subnets easily. The feature is called Service Discovery Gateway and it works a treat.

Basically you get the Layer 3 border to redistribute mDNS between any subnets you like.

Configuration is very simple (It can get pretty complicated if you want to filter specific traffic or types)

Global Configuration

service-list mdns-sd permit-all permit 10
!
service-routing mdns-sd

Per Interface Config (Layer 3 Interface or SVI)

service-routing mdns-sd
  redistribute mdns-sd

Here is a really good slide deck I found about the whole thing.

https://www.slideshare.net/getyourbuildon/supporting-zeroconf-and-apple-bonjour-in-the-enterprise-using-ciscos-service-discovery-gateway-techadvantage-webinar

Hope this helps

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card