cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast Commands

jcerero77
Level 1
Level 1

Hello - I'm very new to the Nexus OS and I am trying to setup multicast. I found out that you no longer need to enable multicast by doing "ip multicast-routing" that you would just need to do "feature pim". Now I'm trying to enable bidir, in CatOS the command was "ip pim bidir-enable" but this command will not work on Nexus. Is there another way of enabling this? Or is it enabled when I set the rp-address, because I was able to do "ip  pim rp-address x.x.x.x bidir" should this be enough? Also is there a way to set up the pim query-interval? In CatOS it was just "ip pim query-interval" under layer 3 interface. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Joanna

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Joanna,

In the coomand reference guide, there is "ip pim bidir-rp-limit

here is the link :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/5_x/nx-os/multicast/command/reference/mcr_cmds_i.html#wp1102159

HTH

Thanks for the link - I think I have it all configured correctly, but I am trying to do a basic test by pinging the multicast group address and I get "ping: either multicast replicate flag or source interface needs to be specified" on the Nexus. I did a "ip igmp join-group 224.0.1.10 source 10.77.32.1" under the interface vlan, i'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've used the ping to do basic testing on catOS in the past and once that was successful I tested using VLC media player - however I can't even get past the pinging on the Nexus - any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Joanna

BenBen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Joanna,

Not sure if you are still following this issue. It seems either a caveat or a defect of the Nexus.

You can try to use the extended ping as following:

Core-A# ping
Vrf context to use [default] :
No user input: using default context
Target IP address or Hostname: 239.1.1.2
Repeat count [5] :
Packet-size [56] :
Timeout in seconds [2] :
Sending interval in seconds [0] :
Extended commands [no] : y
Interface [All]: Ethernet1/13
Source address or interface : Ethernet1/13
Data pattern [0xabcd] :

It worked for me at least. 

Thanks.

-Frank

Or you can simply do an extended ping without choosing any source address or interface. It seems that the extended ping can "set the replication bit", but the normal ping cannot.

-Frank

Try this: ping multicast x.x.x.x interface blah

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco