Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast for IPTV

Faisal.Saoud
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

How to configure multicast for switch 2960x -48 port POE , to enable IPTV ??

I want Commands. :)

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the switch is connected to a multicast router, by default, I believe the 2960x config should deal with multicast.

If there's no multicast router, and IGMP snooping is active, you'll need to enable an IGMP querier (sorry, would have to look it up to provide the exact commands).

PS:

If you're doing routing on the 2960x, you may find it's subset doesn't include support for multicast routing.

Harsha A.
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Faisal,

Do you have a multicast router in your environment ?

You can either enable IGMP snooping globally or you can enable it on per vlan basis.

ip igmp snooping

ip igmp snooping vlan <vlan number>

ip igmp snooping vlan <vlan number> immediate-leave  -- To enable immediate leave

ip igmp snooping vlan <vlan number> mrouter interface/learn -- You can manually specify the interface connecting to the mrouter or make the switch automatically learn the mrouter interface.

Please try it out and let me know.

Regards,

Harsha

Hi Harsha,

No, I don't have Router but I have only one switch to use IPTV. I want to know , what is the mrouter and immediate leave?

Thanks

Hello,

Since you do not have a router, you need to enable the querier.

ip igmp snooping querier

mrouter -- is the port to which your multicast router/source is connected to.

Immediate-Leave --- When you configure immediate leave, host tracking is enabled, which allows the switch to track the hosts that send membership reports. The switch can then determine when the last host on an interface leaves the multicast group and immediately stop forwarding multicast traffic to the interface. 

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Harsha

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card