cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple Q-in-Q (Q-in-Q inside Q-in-Q)

fuadnahdi1
Level 1
Level 1

I have searched this thing before asking here (Google and this forum) but did't find relevant result.

I would like to know which type of Cisco switches that support Multiple Q-in-Q (QinQ inside QinQ)?

For example, I have 1 Gbps Q-in-Q link from a network provider to connect two switches located in different town. Via this link, I also will re-sell a small bandwidth / capacity to our customers which they also require Q-in-Q, so there will be Q-in-Q inside Q-in-Q. Which type of Cisco switches would be able to do this task. I know that Cisco 3560, 3750 supports QinQ but are they able to do multiple QinQ ?

Thank you and appreciate for your answer.

3 Replies 3

yusuf habibi
Level 1
Level 1

yeah its possible, you can try with etherchannel both side. and make sure you provider allowed

Regards,

Habibi

Regards, Habibi

daniel.dib
Level 7
Level 7

Make sure that the MTU supports it. I don't think there should be anything stopping you from doing it as long as the switches support a large enough MTU.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149
CCDE #20160011

Please rate helpful posts.

osema-to
Level 1
Level 1

Becarful of spanning tree, q-in-q tunnel on the provider side will be configured with like this example

switchport mode dot1q-tunnel

switchport acces vlan 100

meaning the interface is viewed to belong to vlan 100 by the stp.

on the other side the client will be a trunk sending bpdus with multiple vlans tags,

when the provider side receives any bpdu that has a vlan id != 100 (and it will), it will block the interface.

I tried this in the topology below and i had to activate bpdufilter in SW3-SW1 and SW2-SW4 link.

osemato_0-1675036445868.png

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card