Helpful
Replies

multiple spanning tree port roles !!

mohammed hashim
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

after configuring MST

one of the switches I am not sure why it was showing this when I inserted command "show spann vlan 10"

Fa0/19              Mstr FWD 200000    128.21   P2p Bound(PVST)

however MST was configured on this switch. when I shut the port down and bring it up, it changed to:

Fa0/19              Root FWD 200000    128.21   P2p Pre-STD-Rx 

what is the port role Mstr? and why when I restarted the port it changed to work normally as root.

also the type shows P2p Pre-STD-Rx while other switches are just P2p

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Is this just a LAB as Pre-STD-Rx means your running mst/rstp that's very old incompatible between switches , it will still work but they should be upgraded to newer IOS versions, You could use this command either under the interface spanning-tree mst pre-standard to force it

The mstr FWD is the master port for the uplink root port usually for the CIST in a multi-region MST operation

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Is this just a LAB as Pre-STD-Rx means your running mst/rstp that's very old incompatible between switches , it will still work but they should be upgraded to newer IOS versions, You could use this command either under the interface spanning-tree mst pre-standard to force it

The mstr FWD is the master port for the uplink root port usually for the CIST in a multi-region MST operation

thanks Mark,

lmediavilla
Level 1
Level 1

I've had that issue when on the same region I had wrong vlan mappings on the same instances in different switches.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: