cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple x6748 modules fail L3VlanMet diagnostic test

Kevin Shipley
Level 1
Level 1

I have been working for several days to find a remedy to a issue with my switch. I have a 6509-E switch populated wit the following modules:

1 x6748-GE-TX

2 x6516A

3 x6748-SFP DFCB

4 x6708-10G

5 VS-SUP720-10G

6 x6708-10G

7 x6516A

8 x6516A

9 x6716-10G

All of the 10G modules have DFC3's and the SUP has a PFC3.

We made changes to the switch by removing the x6516A modules as we want to VSS the switch.

When I finished recabling the ports module x6748-ge-tx faulted when i inserted it L3VlanMet so I reseated  it and the test continued to fail and the switch reloaded.

I removed the module and left it out as I did not have a spare.

The next day we replaced the module and the error returned with that module.

We then tried moving the mod to slot 1 and the test failed there as well.

We then took out each module one at a time and reset the 6748-tx module.

Each time we saw the test fail until we were down to the supervisor mod and the 6748-tx mod alone in the chassis.

We then took the sup and the 6748-tx out and inserted it in to a different unused chassis and the test passed several times.

We concluded that the issue had to be the chassis so we took the old chassis out and put the new chassis in.

Well to make a long story short the test failed and the 6748-sfp the failed because of dfc mismatch.

We swapped out the 6748-sfp with one that had a cfc.

We still experienced the test failure so we swapped out all of the modules including the 6748's and now I get testL3VlanMet failure in slot 1 and 3 with the 6748 modules.

No changes were made to the config except for individual interfaces that we moved off of the 6516 modules we pulled out.

1 Reply 1

Kevin Shipley
Level 1
Level 1

The cause of this issue was a ws-x6716-10G module that had a misaligned block. When the x6716 was inserted it bent pins in the 32GB bus, the last pins toward the middle of the chasis. This caused the x6748 modules to malfunction because they did not have DFCs.

Once I examined the chassis and found that a single module had been in each slot where the same pins were crushed it was apparant that the module was the cause.

Thanks,

Kevin Shipley

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card