Views
Helpful
Replies

my first switch conf

remarkit
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I prepare the CCNA and got recently a couple of 2950 and 3550 switches to use as a lab. I have never been in a cisco switch before. I have problems getting a telnet connection working.

Here is what i have done so far:

hostname switch1

line vty 0 15

login authentication default

ip default-gateway 10.2.255.254

interface Vlan1

ip address 10.2.10.200 255.255.0.0

no shut

interface fastEthernet 0/1

switchport mode access

I still cant ping the switch or access it via telnet. I have plugged a crossover cable from fa0/1 to the wall.

show ip interfaces switchport:

Name: Fa0/1

Switchport: Enabled

Administrative Mode: static access

Operational Mode: down

Administrative Trunking Encapsulation: dot1q

Negotiation of Trunking: Off

Access Mode VLAN: 1 (default)

Trunking Native Mode VLAN: 1 (default)

What am i missing?

16 Replies 16

What do you mean by " config from the first switch " is it the only switch in question or any other switch is also there in the topology.

Everything seems to OK as far as the config configs. You have you rinterface Vlan1 up/up, all the ports are configured for Vlan1. You should be able to ping the switch interface.

I dont know if its a good idea but try reloading the switch and see what happens.Then try pinging the switch again.

-amit singh

Alan

I notice that you refer to this as the config of the first switch. Is there more than one switch involved here? If so could you provide some detail about the topology (what is connected to what on which port)?

I have looked at the config and do not see any obvious issues. There is no other VLAN defined and nothing appears to be shutdown. So if your PC is plugged into one of these interfaces the interface should be up. And if at least one interface is up then the VLAN 1 should be up.

It would be helpful if you post the output of show interface vlan 1 and show interface for the interface into which the PC is connected.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card