Views
Helpful
Replies

need help for cisco 10G fiber connector

Dr.X
Level 2
Level 2

hi folks .

im willing to buy module of cisco sup720 10G module .

WS-SUP720-3B

that has 2 interfaces 10 G.

each port is going to a server del that also 10 G fiber .

we had a hint that the server has options of connectors as below :

SFP+ modules with dual LC connector.

i want to ask here what connectors/Gbic should i buy  on cisco side that is compatible with the hardware sup720  and support  

SFP+ modules with dual LC connector.

?

thanks 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Your options are, you should be able to use most to all X2 transceivers on the sup.  There should be a document, on Cisco's main site, that lists supported transceivers.  Sometimes, certain modules require a minimum IOS version.

As to fiber type, that depends on the transceiver.  Most only support one fiber type, some may support both MM and SM.  Distance supported will depend on the transceiver and fiber combination.  (10G distance is often much less for the short range options, compared to gig.  Cisco's main site has documents for this too.)

Lastly, your other side's transceiver would need to be for the same "standard", but the transceiver would be for what the other side's port requires.  For example, the sup's X2 could connect to another side's SFP+.

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

here is the matrix you can see what's supported for that sup , what choices you have

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/10GE_Tx_Matrix.html#_Toc458157398

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

What is the part number of the 10gig module you are trying to purchase?  Most Cisco 6500 modules take X2 optics and not SFP+.  So, if the server takes SFP+, you need an LC to SC fiber to patch from the server to the switch.

we had a hint that the server has options of connectors as below

I would not relay on a hint. You need to know exactly what type of server and what type of NIC and optics it takes.

HTH

here is more details mr reza :

The servers will use Finisar FTLX8572D3BCL-G1 10.3G 850nm 300m SFP+ modules.
These are multi-mode SR SFPs in 10G NICs

let me know 

cheers

That is good info for the server side.  So, Multi-mode SFP+. 

What Cisco 6500 module you are planning to use?

Most likley you need LC to SC fiber patches to connect the servers to the blade.

HTH

WS-SUP720-3B

on cisco 7600

So, you are planning to connect the servers to the Sup?

If this is the case, this sup does not come with 10Gig interfaces.

see table-1 in this link

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/product_data_sheet09186a0080159856.html

HTH

I'm sorry 

i was talking about WS-SUP720-C

not WS-SUP720-3B

so the C type has ports as 10 G

WS-SUP720-C

there is no such part number

refer to table-1 in the link I provided for all the correct part numbers

Do you mean the VS-S720 (which, I recall, is also initially known as the sup720C)?

You don't mean the sup32-10G, correct?

I'm sorry again 

here is the full name :

VS-S720-10G-3C

Ok, yea that sup has two 10g ports.  It uses X2 modules.

ok thanks 

so now what options do i have in the cisco side ?

so i need cisco SFP X2 type ?

what fiber cable type ?

can you plz summarise the items that i need including the connector sfp and fiber cable ?

thank you very very much you were such helpful 

cheers 

Your options are, you should be able to use most to all X2 transceivers on the sup.  There should be a document, on Cisco's main site, that lists supported transceivers.  Sometimes, certain modules require a minimum IOS version.

As to fiber type, that depends on the transceiver.  Most only support one fiber type, some may support both MM and SM.  Distance supported will depend on the transceiver and fiber combination.  (10G distance is often much less for the short range options, compared to gig.  Cisco's main site has documents for this too.)

Lastly, your other side's transceiver would need to be for the same "standard", but the transceiver would be for what the other side's port requires.  For example, the sup's X2 could connect to another side's SFP+.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Before buying a 10g card to work with a sup720, you might want to review EoL announcements for 6500 components.  I.e. you might want to consider using something newer, which might provide 10g ports with, or without, your current hardware.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card