Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need Help Supervisor Replacement in Quad-Sup 6T VSS 6807

Hello!

I am trying to find out how to replace a failed Supervisor in a Quad-Sup 6T (the latest sup) VSS in 6807 chassis. I am only able to find documentation on how to replace a failed supervisor in Quad-Sup 2T VSS in 6500 chassis but I don't think the same procedure applies to the 6807 model.

For the 6500 models there seems to be 2 ways on doing the replacement; either insert up the new supervisor in a seperate empty chassi to boot it and upload the matching Software image or it won't join the VSS once it is installed in the production chassi. I guess this would also work on the for the Sup 6T but we don't have an empty 6807 chassi around for these kinds of things... seems very odd to me.

The other method is to physically move the CompactFlash from the broken supervisor to the new supervisor in order for it to get the matching Software version. (see http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6500-virtual-switching-system-1440/117850-config-quadsupvss-00.html#anc3)

But I cannot find any documentation for how do to this on the 6807 chassi. It does not have a removable CompactFlash to store the boot images as far as I know. According to the datasheet the 6807 uses Internal Enhanced USB (eUSB) to store the boot image etc. (see http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/white-paper-c11-737405.html#_Toc453974621)

Any help is much appreciated,

Thanks in advance

Jacob F

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

What does CF mean in this case?

Sorry, I meant an EXTERNAL USB flash drive.  

(Cisco doesn't like to advertise that some of their Supervisor cards support third-party CF/SD/USB.)

The Sup6T has an external USB port.  The trick is to find a USB flash drive that is supported by the Supervisor card.  

Otherwise, there's always a Management Port and the IOS can be transferred, the old-fashion-way, using the Management Port.  

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Sup 6T if new and there aren't many documents out there for it. I recommend opening a ticket with TAC and have them help you with the instruction on how to replace it.

HTH

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

So you've got a pair of chassis with two Sup6T (per chassis), right?  One of the card is faulty, right? 

Here's my recommendation: 

1.  Use a third-party CF and copy the IOS from any of the three working Sup6T.  

NOTE:  Before proceeding any further, make sure the MD5 Checksum of the IOS has been compared against the MD5 Checksum found in the Cisco website. 

2.  Insert the CF into the replacement Sup6T.

3.  Insert the replacement Sup6T into the same slot as the faulty Sup6T.

4.  Once the Sup6T boots up with the wrong IOS, copy the correct IOS from the CF into the bootflash of the replacement Sup6T and change the boot variable string.

IMPORTANT:  Verify the config-registry value.  It's either 0x2102 (recommended) or 0x2101. 

If the config-registry value is 0x2101 make sure there is only ONE IOS file in the bootflash directory.  If the config-registry value is 0x2102 make sure the boot variable string is correct or else the supervisor card will boot into ROMmon.

5.  Reboot the replacement Sup6T.

You are correct about the scenario.

What does CF mean in this case? The datasheet said CF was replaced with internal eUSB for storing boot-image etc. for the Sup6T so I'm not sure if there is a slot anywhere in the supervisor to input any kind of CF. 

What does CF mean in this case?

Sorry, I meant an EXTERNAL USB flash drive.  

(Cisco doesn't like to advertise that some of their Supervisor cards support third-party CF/SD/USB.)

The Sup6T has an external USB port.  The trick is to find a USB flash drive that is supported by the Supervisor card.  

Otherwise, there's always a Management Port and the IOS can be transferred, the old-fashion-way, using the Management Port.  

Leo,

Looking at the data sheet for sup-6T, Cisco finally replaced the stupid CMP with a regular out-of-band management port which is a lot more useful. I also see they are not using the x2 module for 10Gig ports anymore.

Finally, (only after 8 years) they are using SFP/SFP+  :-)

Reza

Finally, (only after 8 years) they are using SFP/SFP+  :-)

LOL!

Have a look at this:  CSCuv89092

This bug affects X2, SFP+ (and possibly XENPAK).  

Both your methods sounds very reasonable :)

Does the older Sup 2T and earlier not have a MGMT port or USB-port? Is that why Cisco's guide for replacing a failed supervisor in Quad VSS 6500 resort so such "weird" recovery methods like moving the actual Compact Flash?

The way the guide is written makes it sound like that if you put a new supervisor with mismatching IOS in a Quad VSS deployment, then you wouldn't even be able to access the supervisor in any way. But like you say, if it just boots up then you can get the proper IOS image on it one way or the other.

Maybe I'm just reading too much into this guide... would be nice if Cisco made a proper one for 6800/Sup 6T since they are somewhat different than the old models it seems.

If I am to use the USB-port on the Sup 6T, do you have any idea what a "supported" USB flash drive would mean? Supported filesystem (FAT32, NTFS etc.)? Or is it simply "some work and some don't"? :)

If I am to use the USB-port on the Sup 6T, do you have any idea what a "supported" USB flash drive would mean?

There is no "secret sauce" which USB standard or brand is supported because there are several "standards" and many manufacturers, including the shonky ones, do NOT FOLLOW the standards.  

The only time you'll know if the USB flash drive is supported (or not) is when you insert it into the line card and a log message will appear saying so or not.  

Another option, a very, very expensive one, is to purchase a Cisco-branded USB flash drive.  This one is guaranteed to work with every Cisco appliance (as long as USB is enabled).  

Many thanks for all your answers, Leo! I really appreciate it.

Thanks for taking the time to rate our posts, Jacob.  :)

When the new supervisor is inserted into the VSS chassi with correct IOS image, will configuration automatically be synced form the current active supervisor (the secondary supervisor) to the new supervisor or does it have to be initiated manually?

Just wanna make sure the somewhat empty configuration of the new supervisor isn't synced to the already running supervisors...which would take out the entire network.

When the new supervisor is inserted into the VSS chassi with correct IOS image, will configuration automatically be synced form the current active supervisor (the secondary supervisor) to the new supervisor or does it have to be initiated manually?

The configuration will get synchronized.  

Jacob,

Regarding your questions below:

Does the older Sup 2T and earlier not have a MGMT port or USB-port?

If I remember correctly, starting with Sup-720-VS (about 8 years old now) Cisco added a USB port to the sup but you could not use it.  It was completely useless and everything I asked Cisco about it, they never had any good answer.  After all, why would you put a USB port on a sup and not be able to use it. They did the same thing with sup-2T.

Than there is CPM, that has its own firmware and was supposed be used as a mgmt port which you could not use to load IOS directly to the switch and use it as OOB correctly. Using CMP as a mgmt port requires you to logon to CMP first than attach to the sup. its Complicated.

Now, they finally eliminated CMP and just have a regular mgmt port on sup-6T, which you should be able to use for OOB. Can you provide us feedback on 2 things?

1-Does the USB port work for loading software to the switch/flash?

2-Does the mgmt port work for connecting directly to the sup just like a mgmt port on a 4500, 3800, 3650, etc...?

3-Is the mgmt port in its own vrf?

Thanks,

Reza

I'll get back to you with some answers later this week when I will have access to the 6807 again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card