Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help to clear a few doubt - Cisco SG500X-24P

Jonathan THOMAS
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'd like to setup a small vmware infrastructure and I have some doubt about the networking part.

The idea is to use a stack of Cisco SG500X-24P to connect the servers and some backup storage through ISCSI.

The topology is attached, It will much more clear for you to understand what I want to setup.

My questions :

- What cable do I need for the Stack ? Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU1M cable seems to be enough, do I need a sfp module with this cable ?

- At which speed the ports will synchronize ? 5G ou 10G ?

- Is there a risk of creating a loop with this design ? I think that one stacking port will be in standby, but what happen for the rest ?

- Stacking those two switchs will result of one virtual unit right ?

- Does the trafic passing through the stack has the same behaviour as it if it was a uplink port ? There no trunk notion here right ?

Thanks a lot guys for your help.

Best Regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Go down to page 89 shows you supported stacks and there supported sfps but yes cuim1 cable will work

The stack cable is an all in one cable should not require anything else

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/csbms/Sx500/administration_guide/500_Series_Admin_Guide.pdf

sync depends on setup whether it will be 5 or 10 check page 89

yes when you stack you end up with 1 logical unit

unlikely cause loop while stacking sg500s just check what way your stp is before and after

not sure what you mean exactly by last question but the stack works automatically  not like trunk where you configure specific vlans and requirements

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Go down to page 89 shows you supported stacks and there supported sfps but yes cuim1 cable will work

The stack cable is an all in one cable should not require anything else

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/csbms/Sx500/administration_guide/500_Series_Admin_Guide.pdf

sync depends on setup whether it will be 5 or 10 check page 89

yes when you stack you end up with 1 logical unit

unlikely cause loop while stacking sg500s just check what way your stp is before and after

not sure what you mean exactly by last question but the stack works automatically  not like trunk where you configure specific vlans and requirements

Hi,

Thank you for your answer mark.

I have read the CLI guide while waiting for an answer and it appears that you choose the speed manually, either 5G or 10G.

I guess I had my mind confused by hybrid stack and all.

For the last question, you got it right, I was talking about that and you have answered the question.

If someone else want to add something, please do.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

HI,

I try to configure NTP server between two L2 switches. But

Clock is unsynchronized, stratum 16, no reference clock
nominal freq is 190.7348 Hz, actual freq is 190.7348 Hz, precision is 2**17
reference time is 00000000.00000000 (00:00:00.000 UTC Mon Jan 1 1900)
clock offset is 0.0000 msec, root delay is 0.00 msec
root dispersion is 0.00 msec, peer dispersion is 0.00 msec

above this error was occured. can anyone please tell me how to sync clock with one switch to another. Is there any commands need to resolve this issue???

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card