cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help understanding the running config.

jsherman31
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to get a handle on what's out there in the wild. So we have PCs that are connected to phones which then connect back to the switch. So voice is vlan 100. So in particular, port 1/0/48 was initially set as an access port when I came across it. on the other side of the link is just a Netgear distribution switch (my understanding of the distribution switch is that it has just uplinks and simply forwards traffic along the chain). On that switch, the port was set as a trunk. So on the cisco side, I set it as a trunk and enabled loopguard. Now I see the switchport vlan 100 command there and so I'm curious if I need that command. Port 51 goes to our core switch and it doesn't have that nor do any of the ports have phones connected directly to it. So I'm wondering if there would be any adverse affects if I remove that "switchport voice vlan 100" since on the other side of the link, its just a switch that just simply forwards traffic. The port should still be in the data/voice vlan and should still tag voice vlan traffic. Thanks for any help. 

Screenshot 2023-09-22 135417.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello

@jsherman31 wrote:

So I'm wondering if there would be any adverse affects if I remove that "switchport voice vlan 100" since on the other side of the link,

port gi1/48
As this is a trunk connected to another switch and is allowing all vlans over it then you will be okay to remove the voice vlan

port gi1/51
I assume this is a trunk also,( dynamic via dtp)  but you do not show the switchport details on this, again it would be recommended to hard code this port to be in an administrative mode of trunk

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hello

@jsherman31 wrote:

So I'm wondering if there would be any adverse affects if I remove that "switchport voice vlan 100" since on the other side of the link,

port gi1/48
As this is a trunk connected to another switch and is allowing all vlans over it then you will be okay to remove the voice vlan

port gi1/51
I assume this is a trunk also,( dynamic via dtp)  but you do not show the switchport details on this, again it would be recommended to hard code this port to be in an administrative mode of trunk

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello, 

You are correct on port 51 is a trunk. Ok I'm relatively new to making changes like these outside of a lab and production can be quite chaotic. But thank you. I'll go ahead and remove that line and monitor it. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card