cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help upgrading IOS when flash doesn't have enugh space due to current IOS on Cisco 3750 Switch

m-abooali
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Folks,

I was trying to upgrade IOS on a Cisco 3750 with 16 MB flash. it was not done due to not enough space left on the flash. I wanted to use the delete cmd with /r /f switches but I wasn't sure if deleting the IOS the switch will still let me d the upgrade!?

Its been a while so I wasn't sure and did not proceed. your help with other commands if available will be greatly appreciated. the switch is used for my Cisco certification CCIE hopefully.

Best Regards,

Masood

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Masood,

You can delete the exciting IOS to make sure you have space but before you do that you have to be sure that you load another IOS, set the boot statement and save your config before you reload.  

Warring: If you delete the existing IOS and reboot the switch or turn off the switch without loading a new one, the switch ends up going to Rommon as there is no IOS to boot from. 

Be very careful.

HTH

Thank you Reza.

in that case, I wouldn't need to use those /r /f switches after the delete command because I do not want to format the flash as I have other switch files in there. I only need to open space foo rthe new IOS.

Best Regards,

Masood

Use the command "archive download-sw /overwrite" to upgrade the switch.  The "/overwrite" options instruct the process to delete the first old IOS subdirectory

Thanks Leo,

this archive cmd comes after the copy flash: OR replaces copy flash: command?

Please advise,

best Regards,

Masood

this archive cmd comes after the copy flash: OR replaces copy flash: command?

The "archive download-sw" is a completely different command to the "copy" command.   The "archive download-sw" is an automated command that performs multiple (and optional) functions that is way better than the "copy" command. 

Watch the presentation IOS Upgrade on Catalyst Switches - Easy as Pi.

Ho Leo,

I watched the presentation and good job on that. so I think I need to use the option that deletes old or current IOS while installing new one in flash. I have limited space in flash.

correct?

Thank you,

Masood

so I think I need to use the option that deletes old or current IOS while installing new one in flash.

1.  Depends on how the current (and previous version) of IOS was "upgraded"; and 

2.  Depends on the version of IOS you want to go. 

Do note, that for a 3750 switch with 16 mb flash, the "highest" IOS that you can use is 12.2(55)SE train.

Kindly post the complete output to the command "dir".

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card