Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help with switch selection.

manish arora
Level 6
Level 6

Guys,

can you please advice me with a switch selection ? I have a 7204 vxr router , that i need to connect with a switch , now as per my client they will be using a high no of Ip addresses ( around 120000 ip's  -- using around 90000 - 100,000 most of the time ). They want me give them a simple design which would involve a single vlan holding all the ip's using Secondary command. I know that the 6500 series switch are capable of holding that amount of Mac Addresses in its address table but i am not sure what model or cards i should get with it. they need 100 access ports , three to four routed ports and just plain switching with huge no. of ip addresses for their application ( dont know what it does BTW ).

please advice.

thanks

Manish

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Manish,

It depend on the requirement.  If for example they need 1Gig access to the end user devices, than you can get 3 48 port copper modules and these will  cover more then 100 users.  But I am confused about your design of 100000 IPs in one vlan and the number MAC addresses you need to support.  If you have a requirement of 100 users per device, you don't need 90000 MAC addresses or 100000 IPs. Can you explain what are you trying to accomplish?

HTH

Reza

The client runs some kind of application which changes it Ip address ( public ) everytime it goes out ( they 2 class B ) , i think they have some kind of crawling engine. thats the reason they want that much ip's , they will bind 15000 ip's per server and will stay close to using both class B address spaces for it.

so, the switch needs to handle that many ip to mac association. right now they just using around 30000 ip's with the router keeeping track of mac - ip association and running high memory.

thanks

Manish

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card