Views
Helpful
Replies

Need some help with forwarding traffic from one subnet to another

mason50001
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I’ve configured a small WLAN for a school that wants to have wireless network access for their staff as well as for guests doing presentations. They want the staff to have access to everything on the 192.168.1.0 /24 network as well as the Internet. They want the guests to only have access to the Internet.

I have attached a picture which shows how the network has been configured with 4 Cisco AP1242G AP’s attached to a Cisco SF302-08MP PoE switch and then to a Symantec Security Gateway to the Internet.

I can authenticate wirelessly to the STAFF SSID and ping anything on the 192.168.1.0 /24 network and access the Internet.

I can authenticate wirelessly to the GUEST SSID and ping anything on the 172.16.1.0 /24 network, but not anything on the 192.168.1.0 /24 network (which is what we want). However, when on the GUEST network you can’t access the Internet. I added a default route to the Cisco 302-08MP switch to 192.168.1.1 (Symantec firewall) thinking that would forward the traffic from 172.16.1.0 /24 to the Symantec firewall out to the Internet, but that isn’t working.

How would I go about getting the traffic from 172.16.1.0 /24 to hit the Symantec firewall and the Internet, without hitting anything else on 192.168.1.0 /24? Do I need to put the Symantec firewall in a different subnet like 192.168.2.0 /24? Am I missing anything else?

I’ve worked with Extreme Networks & HP / 3Com CLI in the past, but never with Cisco and never with web based management. I volunteered to help this small private school with their network setup, but I need some help to get past this hurdle. Any direction / assistance anyone can provide would be very much appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Mason

1 Reply 1

ebarticel
Level 4
Level 4

Does your Symantec Gateway has a route back to 172.16.1.0 network?

Hope this helps

Eugen

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card