cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need that a Cisco Catalyst Express 500 behaves as cheap switch

mosquito hippy
Level 1
Level 1

Need that a Cisco Catalyst Express 500 behaves as  cheap switch.

I happen to have a surplus of CE500 and i need to use one as a layer 2 cheap switch (unaware of lan and with port protection off).

How can i achive this?

5 Replies 5

Rejohn Cuares
Level 4
Level 4

What you mean by unaware of LAN?

If you are just after of a switch that has very basic feature sets and "cheap", then I'd say buy a NetGear or Linksys SOHO switch.

Please rate replies and mark question as "answered" if applicable.

That's the thing, i'm sitting on several CE500, i'm not allowed to buy a cheap one right now, i have to use what i have, i know is too much but it should work and i read that it does, there is only one problem, i need to plug a access point to the CE500 that connect this section of my network to the rest.

I can't make the CE500 to work with this AP, a cheap switch i had there before worked properly.

Are you doing any VLAN tagging on the AP?

Andre Neethling
Level 4
Level 4

By default it will behave like that. The CE500 switches have smart port built in settings for IP phone, uplink and PC. It may be that all the smart ports are set by default to PC. If it is set to anything else like IP phone or uplink, it may not all work. But I think if you just plug it in, and don't configure any management, it will behave like a "Cheap Switch"

My problem is an access point that connect this CE500 with the rest of the network, i can't make the switch to recognize it, the dhcp queries aren't passing through.

I tryed setting the port the AP is as switch, access point and other,  and nothing works.

Tomorrow i'll try setting the port as router.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card