cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need to mirror a port on a switch but do not know if it is even possible - please help

alexoncisco
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to troubleshoot an issue we are having when a laptop is connected wirelessly to our network and communicating with a Crestron AirMedia 101 device.  (Everything is okay if the laptop is connected via Ethernet cable to our network.)  I have done a ton of support work with both Crestron and SonicWall.  The latest is, Crestron wants me to identify the two ports to which the AirMedia device and the wireless Access Point (at that location) are connected and then to mirror those two ports into one on an empty port of a switch.

Everything on our network is connected to our firewall, a SonicWall NSA5600.  Our wired network at Town Hall is connected to the firewall using interface X0 for our LAN which connects to four stacked Cisco 2960X-48LPD-L switches.  Our Access Points are connected to the firewall using interface X3 for our WLAN which connects to a Cisco 2960CX-8PC-L switch creating a VLAN for Wireless Access.

The AM-101 is located on switch two of the stack, it has a static IP address of 192.168.xxx.xxx.  The SonicPoint Access Point in the Auditorium utilizes the 2960CX-8PC-L and has a static IP address of 172.31.zzz.zzz.

Since the AP and the AM-101 are connected to two different switches on two different interfaces, is the port mirroring going to be possible?

1 Reply 1

Hello

@alexoncisco wrote:

I am trying to troubleshoot an issue we are having when a laptop is connected wirelessly to our network and communicating with a Crestron AirMedia 101 device.  (Everything is okay if the laptop is connected via Ethernet cable to our network.) 

The AM-101 is located on switch two of the stack, it has a static IP address of 192.168.xxx.xxx.  The SonicPoint Access Point in the Auditorium utilizes the 2960CX-8PC-L and has a static IP address of 172.31.zzz.zzz.

Since the AP and the AM-101 are connected to two different switches on two different interfaces, is the port mirroring going to be possible?

FYI - if your wlan users are not on the same subnet as the AM101 you wont be able to connect to it?
Can you confirm this is the case?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card