cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NEED VSS HELP

Ayub
Level 1
Level 1

Can we use two fast hello links between two chasis because i am going to put 4 links in vss from two modules (supervisor engine and uplink module) within a chasi to other same side supervisor and uplink modules? like I want to make one Fast hello from one side supervisor's with other side chasi supervisor and one fast hello between uplink module with other chasi uplink module ? can we achieve VSS like this ?  and Fast Hello?

Let me more clear for you

In each chasi i have one C6807-XL-S2T-BUN -  two WS-X6824-SFP-2T - and one C6800-8P10G.

Right Now my VSL is configured between two C6800-8P10G on both chasis and Fast hello is configured on C6807-XL-S2T-BUN on same both sides.

What I want to achieve is in an attachment. is this possible?

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is no need for 2 fast hello links. You only need one link for dual-active detection.

HTH

Thanks Reza for the reply. What about the rest of the topology ? i will be good with it ?

Sure. For VSL link, you only need 2 (one from a module and one from the Sup) especially since you are using 10Gig links.

HTH

Thanks Reza, i will give a try for this. Other thing i need to clarify is, i know i need only one Hello link but what if i can use two Hello links as mention in the topology. Is it not good incase one of my Hello Link goes down?

The fast hello link applies between chassis and you only need a 1Gig connection. Having 2 links will cause confusion and you may not detect when there is a dual-active situation.

So, one 1Gig link (copper or fiber) for fast-hello and 2 10gig links for VSL.

HTH

Thanks Reza as you are helping me alot i have one more question hopefully last one, As my VSL is up and running now i have been told to add additional link from other module into VSL (etherchannel) on both sides. Shall i add just that additional link into same port-channel on each chasi or i have to follow some other best practices to add additional link into running VSS link ?
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card