cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network design query

seangt1997
Level 1
Level 1

I’m designing a small network for a project of mine.

The building has 4 floors 200mx200m (each floor) with 24 machines located on each floor (each department on separate floors) therefore uses separate vlans to prevent other departments accessing each other, i will be configuring a dhcp server at the same time to auto assign an ip address, all machines must connect to the internet and a web server will be required.

The bit that’s stumped me is the type of media to use as cat5e can only work till 100m length, should I think about using fibre throughout? As it is theoretical not a literal implementation or use Ethernet to fibre convertors from switches to machines? Or am I not thinking clearly?

The backbone will be connected via fibre connection(router to distribution switches) it’s the switch to pcs I’m having issues figuring out, can anyone shed some light on this for me.

Here’s a simple layout made on packet tracer:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/seaneyb/pkttracerdiag1.jpg

1 other question does anyone know how to add fibre modules to the multi layer switch? It has no modules to choose from.

thanks in advance

sean

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sean,

If your distance is more then 100M, then you need to use MM fiber. If you already have fiber connectors on your wall plates then you can get a fiber module for your switch.  If you only have Copper face plate on the wall, then you need to use a media converters to convert from fiber to copper.

What type of switch do you have?

HTH

Reza

The switches are non existant this is simply a learning exercise as a part of a course i am currently doing.

oh, ok, then you need to pick a switch for your  exercise and use it in your design

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This sounds like school work ...

The building has 4 floors 200mx200m (each floor)

The bit that’s stumped me is the type of media to use as cat5e can only work till 100m length,

So where are the floor switches located?  Is the data cabinet located in the middle of the floor.  You'll need to design the floor that no more than 85 m vertical cable otherwise your PCs will have to run 10mb/half duplex.

1 other question does anyone know how to add fibre modules to the multi layer switch?

The switches you have are 3560 and 2960.  Both have SFP ports that can accomodate 1Gb fibre optic (long haul or short extension).

There shall be a server room on the ground floor fibre backbones would be wired up the lift shaft to each switch cabnet. Switch cabnets will be located on each floor in a seperate room wiring shall be run in the celing.

Switch cabnet contains

1x Layer 3 switch (distribution switch)

3x layer 2 switches to machines

i have been looking at which cisco switches to use for this, however i can only really find ethernet connections and i cant find any pure fibre switches, only switches with empty modules and there isnt enough modules in a switch for the capacity.

For my layer 3 i was looking at the Cisco Catalyst 3750G-24TS as its managed it supports vlans trunking and dhcp support, which is what i need, to connect to my access layer 2 switches. My biggest problem is the layer 2 switches because the room is 200x200m and wired through the celing and floors to access the machines cat5 wont work due to the lengths required, or i place the switches in the centre of the room 1 far left 1 centre and one far right could this work?         

Perhaps you could have wired/wireless solution to cover entire area and minimaze the spending.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card