cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network in OSPF only when "no passive-interface" statement configured

Rod Oliver
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 4500-X running IOS-XE version 03.05.02. OSPF is configured with passive-interface default. There is a network statement covering interface Te1/9. The output of "sho ip osp interf"shows this interface in the OSPF process. However only when "no passive-interface Te1/9" is configured on the process does the network appear as an OSPF route on other OSPF speakers in the domain. It was my understanding that running passive-interface on an interface only prevents OSPF adjacencies being formed over the interface and not whether or the network associated with the interface is included in OSPF. Any thoughts?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, you're correct, passive should only preclude forming an OSPF adjacency.

If shouldn't preclude the network from appearing in the topology.

If fact, on our network we also use passive-interface default and edge networks appear in the topology.

Te1/9 is up in both cases?

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

a.alekseev
Level 7
Level 7

show the configuration

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, you're correct, passive should only preclude forming an OSPF adjacency.

If shouldn't preclude the network from appearing in the topology.

If fact, on our network we also use passive-interface default and edge networks appear in the topology.

Te1/9 is up in both cases?

Thanks for the confirmation. Te1/9 is up in both cases. Perhaps something is getting stuck with the LSA generation. I'll do a bit of debugging at the next opportunity. Unfortunately the interface in question has gone into production so I'm not at liberty to just shut it down, try something out and observe.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card