Helpful
Replies

Network Switch Sizing

vinoth vinoth
Level 1
Level 1

Dears,

Greetings.

I am planning network sizing for IP Surveillance system. Please find below information.

S.No

Device Details

Qty

Camera – 3 Mega Pixel

SG300-28P – Access Switch

WS-C3850-24T – Core Switch

NVR

All these NVR will be terminated on WS-C3850-24T and 30 days video backup.

My query is as below.

Forwarding Rate

Switching Capacity

SG300-28P

WS-C3850-24T

Will this solution will workable or need to make any changes ?

Do the needful.

Regard,

V.Vinoth

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Are you going to connect all 11 access switches to only one 3850? This would not give you any redundancy if the core switches fails.  You may want to change the quantity to 2 core switches for redundancy.  Also you can use the same 3850 core switch as a router.  This way, there is no need for any NVR routers.

HTH

Dear Reza,

Thanks for giving your input.

In future, customer will plan for redundancy switch as of now only one SW. And customer is already having 4 NVR (Network Video Recorder). My concern how do i justify Cisco WS-C3850-24T will handle all the Video traffic without any blocking.

Customer supposed to ask instead of Cisco 3850, why are you not planning Cisco 3650?.

Is there any calculation based on SW throughput and SW forwarding rate? to justify.

Hope i convey my exact query.

Regards,

V.Vinoth

Hi,

You can use either 3850 or 3650.  They will both work for you and have enough back plane speed to handle 80 cameras each at 3Mb. 

Have a look at table-9 in this link for numbers:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/data_sheet_c78-720918.html

HTH

Dear Reza,

Greetings.

Thanks for giving your input.

As i mentioned switching capacity in first mail as Cisco3850 is 92Gbps. Could you ensure based on SW Capacity it can handle ?. If yes give me some calculation like below.

No of Ports Forwarding Rate Mpps
No of ports * 1.44
Switching Capacity
No of ports*2 
SG300-28P 28 41.67 56
WS-C3850-24T 24 68.4 92
  Qty Mega Pixel  BW utilization  Total
Camera  80 3 5Mbps 400 Mbps

Here whats the point in Forwarding Rate.

Do the needful some deeper calculation.

Regards,

V.Vinoth

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Its hard to say without knowing more about the Cameras.

The 3MP IP cameras I have used in the past tend to use between 4Mbps and 8Mbps. 

Each port on the SG300 is 1Gbps and even running 10 cameras at 8Mbps each, you would be find from a bandwidth perspective.

In theory you should be fine but I wouldn't want to guarantee it .  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card