Views
Helpful
Replies

New Catalyst 9200L Console only showing gibberish

trumarknet
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

We just purchased 2 catalyst 9200L switches. My laptop connects through the console port but only giving gibberish. I have confirmed the connection settings. Tried a couple different speeds but still the same result. I replaced the serial cable and still same result. Any insight would much appreciated. Attached are screenshots of what I have and seeing.

Thanks
Edconsole settings.jpggibberish.jpg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

So, it looks like the issue came down to the cable. Even though the rj45 to Serial to USB Converter works in other devices it just didn't to work on this model (9200L). I bought a new RJ45 to USB and it worked fine. Really odd but figured I would update the thread.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

trumarknet
Level 1
Level 1

An update, I am able to use the mini-usb console port with no issue.

Okay, if you have console access via mini-usb, can you "see" console's serial settings?  (This assuming your mini-usb isn't actually using the same physical RS-232 device port.)

One issue with RS-232, there lots of setting options, many of which if not the same on both ends of the link, will cause gibberish.

Here is what the current config looks like...it is the default. I tried to hardcode the settings with no difference. I updated the speed to 19200 and still nothing but the USB connection had to be updated so the switch so taking the changes. Really weird.

line con 0
stopbits 1
line aux 0
line vty 0 4
login
transport input ssh
line vty 5 15
login
transport input ssh
!

I recall (?) on some Cisco devices, console RS-232 settings were set in ROMMOM, and IOS just "inherited" them.

Possibly, if indeed settings "inherited" IOS might allow you to override such with explicit changes.

You might also try, if not already, a show run all to see what else appears for console settings.

Here is the show run all

!
line con 0
motd-banner
exec-banner
exec-timeout 5 0
timeout login response 30
privilege level 1
no media-type rj45 switch 1
no media-type rj45 switch 2
no media-type rj45 switch 3
no media-type rj45 switch 4
no media-type rj45 switch 5
no media-type rj45 switch 6
no media-type rj45 switch 7
no media-type rj45 switch 8
logging synchronous
data-character-bits 8
exec-character-bits 7
special-character-bits 7
domain-lookup
exec
length 24
width 80
history size 10
history
editing
monitor
escape-character soft DEFAULT
escape-character DEFAULT
databits 8
stopbits 1
start-character 17
stop-character 19
speed 9600

So, it looks like the issue came down to the cable. Even though the rj45 to Serial to USB Converter works in other devices it just didn't to work on this model (9200L). I bought a new RJ45 to USB and it worked fine. Really odd but figured I would update the thread.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco