Views
Helpful
Replies

New Catalyst 9500 - Change Stackwise-Virtual port assignments

vv0bbLeS
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I have a new stack of 2 x C9500-24Y4C switches, and I've got my Stackwise Virtual (SVL) ports setup and my Dual-Active Detection (DAD) link setup. These switches are new and not yet in production, and I've decided I want to move the SVL ports to a different set of ports (currently the SVL ports are ports 25 and 27, so not contiguous, and I'd like to move them to ports 27 and 28 to be contiguous). However, I'm not sure the "best" way to move that SVL configuration to avoid any weird quirks in the future? Some options I can think of are:

1. I keep the SVL config on port 27, since that one's staying an SVL port, and then just move the SVL config from port 25 to 28 and then reboot?
  2. I remove all SVL port config first (including DAD config) from both switches, then reboot both switches, then configure my "new" ports 27 and 28 for SVL on both switches (and configure my DAD port) and then reboot both switches?

Or is there some other way to change SVL port assignments that's better/recommended ?

0xD2A6762E
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pieterh
VIP
VIP

as this is non-production all options are valid, including
3) add an extra SVL link and remove an unwanted link

• You can configure up to 8 SVLs in a Cisco StackWise Virtual solution using Cisco Catalyst 9500 Series Switches or Cisco Catalyst 9500 Series High Performance Switches.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

pieterh
VIP
VIP

• You can configure up to 8 SVLs in a Cisco StackWise Virtual solution using Cisco Catalyst 9500 Series Switches or Cisco Catalyst 9500 Series High Performance Switches.

@pieterh wrote:

in this case , once you remove the unwanted port from the SVI, do you need to reboot the switches?

vv0bbLeS
Level 1
Level 1

@pieterh great! Thanks!

0xD2A6762E
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card