Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New Cisco Account, Can't Download

Hi All,

Not sure which section this should be in, please re-direct as required.

I have two Catalyst 3500 XL  on which I want to test  switch to switch routing as should be available on a Level-3 switch. i.e. I want to connect two different subnets with the two switches.  e.g.  192.168.99.0 and 192.168.88.0 

I am new to Cisco equipment etc, but not to IT.

I have a direct link to the USB utility download page...

https://software.cisco.com/download/home/282979305/type/282855122/release/3.1

When I try to download I get a message to update my profile which I have done, yesterday and today.  I see all fields updated name,  post code (UK) etc.  except my local street address which no matter what I fill in and hit update I see a blank field.

I see a message about no getting full access until my address (Email done) is verified, maybe they mean street address.

I'm sure if all the USB utility does is configure my PC USB port to act like a 15 pin serial ports with the relevant baud rate, start and stop bits etc. I can do this anyway, but the inability to download still bugs me.

Any help on this appreciated.

Regards... 

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @00u17ko1c5TRmhIO15d7 ,

Cisco policies about downloads are very strict you can download software only for devices that are in a service contract that is associated to your CCO account.

And about your switches : Catalyst 3500 XL they are very old and in End of Life and End of Support and so you cannot get software for them.

I'm sorry to give you bad news.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Reply appreciated, and I'm sure I can get USB to switch via USB to RJ-45 serial (console connection) working without an additional utility. 

The kit is old but functioning and I planned to use it at a local charity.

Confusing that the link to the utility still works and as so I assume is needed for kit that has not reached end of life?  

The web article mentioned a possible GUI that would work once the basic setup was complete, IP address, mask etc.  I will assume this isn't available either, even though it too maybe usable on supported kit? 

Regards... 

3500 XL are very old (like from last century?), and as noted by Giuseppe, you cannot download software for them, from Cisco.

Although I believe you're correct, that the 3500 XL is a L3 switch, it (I also recall) used to have two different IOS feature versions.  One with very limited L3 routing features, and one with most routing feature.  (Same hardware, loading the "better" IOS image on the switch would upgrade its L3 routing features.)

Regarding a GUI, many Cisco devices supported a very lightweight GUI, using a web browser.  Some IOSs would come with a much "better" GUI, as part of the IOS package.  (Also used by web browser.)  Lastly, some switches were supported by some form of "Network Assistant" separate (free) software package, which provided much more than configuration setup.

BTW, technically, you own the hardware but not the installed software, which is licensed.  I.e. legally, without the license, even a brand new switch would be only useful for something like a bookend.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card