cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New to Cisco 3640 router and need help

Stephen_Nault
Level 1
Level 1

Hi I am a student and got my hands on my companies old Cisco 3640 router and I was able to clear out the old startup confit and bring it back to a factory reset and have loaded and new small running config and told it to WR MEM and also COPY RUNNING-CONFIG START-CONFIG but when I try to reboot the router it doesn't recognize REBOOT so I have to us RELOAD and when it comes up my config is gone and I have start all over. Any idea of what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

3 Replies 3

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

do sh ver and look for config-register settings, if it is 0x2142 then it means it ignores startup config.

then change the setting like this: config# config-register 0x2102 then wr then your problem is solved.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

bmurray
Level 1
Level 1

After you change the running config and do a write mem. Do a show startup and see if your changes are in there.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HI Stephen ,

If you have configured the router and issued WR MEM command the router will save the configuration to the startup config .

Try issuing show startup-config command and see if  your configuration is exsisting .

Verify the config register value from show version .

It should be 0x2102 then only it will take the startup config while booting  . if it is 0x2142 it will bypass the configuration and will load the router with default configuration .

kindly let us know after checking .

Regards,

Angus

Please dont forget to rate the post if usefull ....

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card