cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5020 and HSRP, VRRP, GLBP

taelon_x7
Level 1
Level 1

I have a pair of Nexus 5020's that I am attempting to get HSRP, VRRP or GLBP working on. I know that my configuration is correct but for some reason the virtual address does not respond even though I see the ARP entry in the upstream device. After doing some research I noticed that in the configuration examples, they are using a layer 3 interfacea and I am trying to set this up on an SVI.

The 5020 doesn't seem to support the "no switchport" command and in the readme it sort-of reads as if the layer 3 interface command is only supported on the 5500?? :

Layer 3 routing interfaces and subinterfaces on Cisco Nexus 5500 Series ports and SVI routing for all other interfaces

So, does that mean none of these are supported since you cannot configure them on an SVI and the 5020 does not support a layer 3 interface?

3 Replies 3

balla-zoltan
Level 1
Level 1

What features did you enable? Could you post the configuration you did? Remember that on the Nexus 5X switches you have to route everything using the management vrf.

The HSRP feature is enabled right now and here is the config:

Switch 1:
interface Vlan701
  no shutdown
  ip address 10.X.X.7/27
  hsrp 97
    preempt
    priority 110
    ip 10.X.X.5

Switch 2:
interface Vlan701
   no shutdown
   ip address 10.X.X.6/27
   hsrp 97
     ip 10.X.X.5

It is my understanding that you will only route over the management VRF if configured to do so and only for control plane traffic. This traffic should be traversing the default VRF, if not, HSRP would not work since the multicast traffic would not be in the data plane.

Got it to work this morning! Had to enable use-bia for the interface before it would respond to pings. The only problem is that this solution will not work since there is a firewall interacting with this HSRP interface.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card