Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5500 HSRP requirement(?)

rtjensen4
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

Is HSRP a requirement when using two Nexus 5500s with VPC? Here's what I just saw happening. I have two N 5548s running VPC with a VPC Peer link and a regular L2 trunk between them. Connected to N5k #2, i have a trunk to my lab. On N5k #1, I setup interface vlan841 with an IP, 10.10.241.1/24, and No-shut it. Interface comes up, all is happy. This is a temp network, so I didnt see a need to set it up on the 2nd switch. Attached to VLAN 841 on my lab switch, which is physically conected to my lab switch, i connected a host. I could see the MAC of the host in my LAB, but it couldn't get anywhere.

I could see the MAC of my lab-host on N5k #2, and on N5k #1, so they were learning the MAC properly. The host could PING 10.10.241.1, but nothing else. N5k #1 wasnt getting ARP resolution for the host on vlan 841 and couldn't ping it. nor could any other area on my network.

The only way i could get access to the host in my lab was to setup HSRP on both switches. I left Nexus #1 as HSRP active, and now it works. Any thoughts why I see this behavior?

Version:

5.0(3)N1(1b)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

That is the correct behavior of Nexus 5K and 7K.  You still need to configure HSRP. Only VSS eliminates the need to HSRP, VRRP, etc...

Have a look a this doc figure-4

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9670/C07-572831-00_Dsgn_Nexus_vPC_DG.pdf

HTH

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

That is the correct behavior of Nexus 5K and 7K.  You still need to configure HSRP. Only VSS eliminates the need to HSRP, VRRP, etc...

Have a look a this doc figure-4

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9670/C07-572831-00_Dsgn_Nexus_vPC_DG.pdf

HTH

Thanks. I knew it was strongly recommeneded, but didnt know it was a REQUIREMENT. Thanks for clearing that up.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card