Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5K HSRP with 4 switches -- Server not pingable

nazir8121
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

We have the below given topology in our DCs.

DC1                                                     DC2

5K1--VPC--5K2  ----(Inter DC link)----5K3--VPC--5K4

5K1 & 2 are HSRP Primary and Secondary

5K3 & 4 are in Listening mode

We have servers connected both DC1 & 2 and VLANs were extended in between the DCs. 

We have some servers dual connected to DC1 & 2 switches. When pinging from 5K3, i am able to ping all servers connected in the DC1 and 2. But when pinging from 5K4, i am not able to ping any servers in DC2. However, i am able to ping other servers DC1 in the same VLAN. 

Not sure what is the root cause of this issue, but both links are active from Server & switch perspective. When we shut either one of the link in 5K3 or 5K4, we able to ping the servers from both 5Ks. 

Is this default behaviour of switches HSRP learning mode ? or one of the many caveats in Nexus ? Please help me to identify this issue and fix it.

Thank you all.

2 Replies 2

Rajeshkumar Gatti
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is not a default behavior or a limitation. Is the ARP complete on both sides when ping fails?

What code is running on the 5k3 and 4? Does the MAC address point to the right interfaces?

No ARP learned on the 5k4, however MAC address were learned on correct interface on both switches. Both switches running 7.0.1.N1.1 NX-OS.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card