cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7 Proactive EPLD Upgrade

CLCrawl
Level 1
Level 1

We are in the process of upgrading the line cards on 2x Nexus 7010 chassis in a VPC pair. We are removing 1 of the Nexus from service, putting in the new hardware, and then bringing it back into service. Currently we are running NX-OS 5.2, our goal is to get to NX-OS 8.2 when this is all said and done.

I already asked if we can simply jump up to 8.2, recreate the VPC pair, and then do the other Nexus. Suggestion was in theory this would work, although I'm hesitant because of how disperse the NX-OS versions will be. As of now we have already succesfully went to 6.1(5a) on a different pair, however that leaves us a long ways away from 8.2.

We can ISSU up to 8.2 through 3-4 upgrades, our concern is the EPLD disparity. We can't ISSU an EPLD, so the question is. Can we install NX-OS 8.2, run through the EPLD for 8.2, and then roll NX-OS back to 6.1(5a)? Or is this simply asking for random issues? Thanks all!

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't think EPLD disparity will make a difference as it is not something that is always necessary to upgrade. Also, once you upgrade to 8.2, I would not roll back to 6.1(5a), as you may be encountering other unforeseen issues.

Also, have a look at this document on EPLD upgrade:

Deciding When to Upgrade EPLDs

You do not always need to upgrade EPLD images but the following circumstances do require that you upgrade these images:

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card