Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7000 FEX issue

wenqianyu
Level 3
Level 3

All,

I am new to Nexus 7000. We have a pair of Nexus 7000 configured as VPC pair. Each has a FEX 2232 attached. FEX 101 is configured on both Nexus 7000.

Problem we have:

One side FEX 101 is online, the other side FEX status is offline.

On the side that FEX is offline, I tried to reconfigure the ethernet port and corresponding port channel. When enter command "fex associate 101", I get error message "chassis id: 101 already taken". I checked running-config and not see any interface on this switch that has associated fex 101.

With desperate, I removed fex 101 on this Nexus 7000 switch, and then try to add it back. I get same error message as "chassis id: 101 already taken".

My question:

How to get fex 101 configured on this Nexus 7000? My feeling is that the vpc pair relation between two Nexus 7000 prevented me to add fex 101 on one side because it exists on the other side already. Can I remove vpc peer-keepalive, and add fex 101 back?

Remove vpc peer-keepalive cause any problem?

Thanks,

Wenqian

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

No need to remove the vPC keep-alive. Just use a new number (102 or 103) and configure both 7ks for this FEX exactly the same.

Also, can you post your configs?

HTH 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

No need to remove the vPC keep-alive. Just use a new number (102 or 103) and configure both 7ks for this FEX exactly the same.

Also, can you post your configs?

HTH 

Thanks for reply. I could add a FEX with a different number. But I prefer to use the same number for port-channel configuration between vpc peer.

The problem was fixed by looking through other VDCs in the same Nexus 7K switch. One VDC had an interface associated with fex 101. That VDC had fex 101 before and was deleted. After delete all references in this VDC about fex 101, I then could add fex 101 back to the problem VDC.

Thanks,

Wenqian

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card