cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

nexus 7000 log prompts arp to receive invalid destination address

cong bao
Level 1
Level 1

N7K-A %ARP-4-INVAL_IP: arp [4557] Received packet with invalid destination IP address (10.168.96.0) from 2c53.4a04.2118 on Vlan226 

N7K-A %NETSTACK-5-INVALID_NOTIFY: netstack [4585] ip_is_addr_local_active:Failed to get IP API VRF (null)

N7K-A %AUTHPRIV-5-SYSTEM_MSG: admin : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/var/sysmgr/vsh ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/strings /proc/25435/environ - sudo

Recently, I found that this log appears frequently, how is this caused, and how can I solve it?

thank

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @cong bao ,

>> N7K-A %ARP-4-INVAL_IP: arp [4557] Received packet with invalid destination IP address (10.168.96.0) from 2c53.4a04.2118 on Vlan226 

what is the IP address and subnet mask configured under SVI interface Vlan 226 ?

There may be an host with an incorrect shorter less specific subnet mask that believes 10.168.96.0 is a valid IP address ?

I mean a /23 or less speciific prefix lenght

Can you trace the MAC address in the CAM table ?

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- These bug reports could be related : https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCta54935 , and https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCsw95903 . note however the original message contains : ...NETSTACK-5-INVALID_NOTIFY... , the 5 uses the same problem indication numbers as for syslog , meaning notice and informational =  Probably not too important.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

However, he is still reporting the error ARP-4-INVAL_IP, and not only received an invalid IP address, but also received an invalid MAC address. I doubt whether there is a spoofing attack, or should I go to the terminal corresponding to this MAC to find the problem

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @cong bao ,

>> N7K-A %ARP-4-INVAL_IP: arp [4557] Received packet with invalid destination IP address (10.168.96.0) from 2c53.4a04.2118 on Vlan226 

what is the IP address and subnet mask configured under SVI interface Vlan 226 ?

There may be an host with an incorrect shorter less specific subnet mask that believes 10.168.96.0 is a valid IP address ?

I mean a /23 or less speciific prefix lenght

Can you trace the MAC address in the CAM table ?

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card