Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7k %MODULE-2-MOD_SOMEPORTS_FAILED

chldlsdn1234
Level 1
Level 1

today i checking to my Nexus 7k switch and i find a problem

%MODULE-2-MOD_SOMEPORTS_FAILED: Module 10 (Serial number: JAF1813ALCH) reported failure on ports Ethernet10/13 (Ethernet)

due to unsupported port speed config in device DEV_PORT_CLIENT (device error 0xc8f0c22a)

Nexus version

Software
  BIOS:      version 2.12.0
  kickstart: version 6.2(16)
  system:    version 6.2(16)

Please suggest what is the solution for this.

5 Replies 5

tlyubomi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1. What is the configuration from Nexus side and from Host side? Are they configured to auto negotiate?
2. Have you tried to hard-code the speed and duplex from both sides?

3. What line card is module 10? You can check this from #show module

4.Did you recently upgrade to 6.2(16)?

Also very useful command to check what is happening with the interface internally is:

show system internal ethpm event-history interface Ethernet10/13

Thanks for your reply.

1 - The host is actually powered off - from what I can see, every 30 seconds or so the link tries to initialize, comes up at 100Mbps for about 8 seconds, which is unsupported on the N7K-F248XP-25E.So the error makes sense. Then gets disconnected. Then the cycle starts again after around 30 seconds.

The host interface is an Intel X540-AT2. So investigating the host side more - as it appears that the switch is behaving correctly.

The switchport is set as access and spanning-tree port type edge.

I have now moved this cable from the N7K-F248XP-25E to an expander N2K-C2232TM-10GE and the issue does not appear.

This leads me to think it is some specific inter interoperability issue, between this specific host and F2E line card on NX-OS 6.2(16). Because the FEX you are using doesn't have 100mb capability. When the host is shutdown the NIC is still up, but should not communicate with the Nexus and try to set speed at 100MB, no matter if it is connected to FEX or F2E. 

My suggestion would be to connect this host to different line card (if you have). To check for sure , if it is issue with the line card.

Tausif Gaddi
Level 1
Level 1

You can find Nexus 7000 Series M132XP-12 Module Troubleshooting Based on Error Logs at http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/interfaces-modules/nexus-7000-m1-series-32-port-10-gigabit-ethernet-module/116227-technote-m132xp-00.html

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card